Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Lamlestia, an ancient spirit, discusses reincarnation and theosophy.


December 17th, 1916
Received by James Padgett
Washington D.C.

I am here Lamlestia,


I was an inhabitant of India when that country was not known of to modern nations, and I lived near the great Himalaya Mountains on a plain that was then fertile and peopled by a vast number of inhabitants who worshiped the Gods of whom the later Brahmans have written in their sacred books.

It may seem surprising to you that I should come and write you, and the explanation is, that I became in rapport with you tonight at the meeting of the Theosophists.
I saw that you were psychic and that I could communicate to you through the medium of the pen.

There were many spirits present who, when mortals, lived in that far away country, and were, and are now believers in the mysteries of the occult as claimed to be known now by those who profess to be leaders of the Theosophical movement. A number of their names were mentioned by the lecturer; and these spirits were attracted to the meeting by reason of the similarity of beliefs which the mortals present possessed, and they, the spirits,possessed.

I, also, was present because of that attraction, for when on earth I was a great believer in these doctrines, and especially those that teach reincarnation and karma, and I still believe in these things. Although I have been a spirit for many centuries, yet these earth beliefs cling to me and hold me to the binding force of their truths, as Iconceive these truths to be.

Many of those present, whose minds I could read as they thought, believe in these doctrines, but very few of them have any conception of what are the truths taught by such philosophy. Even the lecturer has a very slight comprehension of the scope and import of these teachings, and her attempt to explain the objects and workings of the principles of true theosophy was a very inefficient effort, for in order for her to be able to teach these doctrines, it is absolutely necessary that she have a knowledge of the same, which she does not have.

No, the knowledge that she, and many others like her, have, as to the fundamentals of this philosophy or religion, if it may be called such, is very superficial, and the fact that it is a system of mysteries, of which they have discerned, in a few instances, the explanation, causes them to conclude that their grasp of the scope of this philosophy is greater than it really is, and affords them a kind of satisfaction that arises from the consciousness that some mysteries which the world knows not of, they know.

She spoke about the great Masters being in India, who have a full knowledge of these mysteries and, in certain conditions or circumstances, will be able to and will initiate the searcher into the esoteric meaning of these great truths. Well, these Masters know something of mysticism and of occult powers and principles, but such knowledge is not sufficient to qualify them as teachers of the great truths of theosophy, as I understood and now understand these truths.

We have in the spirit world and have had for long centuries, communities of theosophists, who believe and teach to whomsoever will listen to these doctrines, and many of these spirits attempt to teach mortals by impressions and thought transference these truths of ages, but with indifferent success; and, hence, for most of those who think they would like to understand this philosophy, the great attraction is the mystery, which they believe, because of its being a mystery, must contain the truth.

The progress and understanding in the search for the key to the opening up and solving of these doctrines, and the supposed mystery in which they are shrouded, is very slow, and we who have been, as I said, for centuries engaged in this great effort have never had demonstrated to us the existence of our supposed truths; and we are still plodding the weary way, supported by the faith that at some time light will come to us, and that which has so long been enveloped in darkness will come into the pure light of understanding and comprehension.

But as yet, very few of these mysteries have been solved, and the truths supposed to be concealed therein been manifested, and to some of us doubt has commenced to rear its head and cause disappointment. Such being the case with us, what can these mortals who are groping in speculation and discord expect to succeed in disclosing?

Tonight, I heard the lecturer declare that Man is God potentially, and that when he develops into perfection he will become God. 

Never was there a more delusive and untrue declaration of a supposed fact ever uttered, for we who have lived in this invisible world long enough to have had come to us the realization that we are gods, all know that we are only and merely the spirits of men who lived on earth many years ago, and believed that when in the far distant future by our own exertions in renunciation, we would become gods.

No, such is not the fact, and while we have renounced many of the sins and errors of our mortal lives, yet we are still spirits, with all the limitations of mind and souls that spirits are by nature bound.

And this I must say, that in all the centuries of my spirit existence, never have I known a spirit or the soul of a spirit to reincarnate, and in this my disappointment has been grievous. Many spirits of our association have become perfect through renunciation, and yet they have remained spirits and progressed to the highest heavens of ourpossibilities (the Sixth Sphere).

Yet, strange as it may seem in view of this experience, we still, to a more or less degree, cling to our old beliefs in reincarnation, thinking that there is something else, that we know not of, to be done in order for reincarnation to become the destiny of our souls.

Sometimes I think that my beliefs in this particular must be wrong, for in comparing the condition of mortals, the most advanced in their mind and soul development, I realize that they are not in a small degree the equal of us in development, and then I wonder and, wondering, cannot understand what good could be accomplished or what improvement made in our condition for progressing, should we again enter mortal bodies.

As true theosophy taught, as we conceived it, reincarnation was a supposed process of purification, and necessary in order that the spirit could attain to a state of perfection and freedom from everything that defiles his soul and prevents that soul from arriving at the blissful state of Nirvana, which means only that condition of soul where no longer reincarnation is necessary or possible; and when I know that many of our spirits - one time believers in these doctrines - have arrived at that condition and entered a state of perfect happiness, I hesitate longer to believe, and only hold the faith because I fear that the experience mentioned may be the results of special circumstances.

But if I cease to believe these teachings, what shall I believe? 


No one can tell me that this reincarnation will not take place, and I fear to surrender the belief.
I further believe that in order for the workings of karma, as the doctrines hold, reincarnation is necessary - that only in the mortal body could I do the reaping that my sowing demands, and yet, I see and know that karma has been and is working in this spirit world, to the extent that the reaping has all been accomplished, and the spirit made perfect, and this without any reincarnation; for as I have said, never have I known or heard of the reincarnation of a spirit or of anything that is connected with or represents the spirit.

Of late I have been much in cloudland as to these beliefs, and in my desire to find the light, I have visited the meetings of the theosophists in all countries, and especially in India, where the Masters who are supposed to have the full knowledge and enlightenment live, and in hope of finding the light, but all to no avail. My desires and longings cry for the light, but none can be found.

Tonight, I was attracted to the meeting where I saw you, and realizing that I could express to you my feelings and doubts, made a rapport and came home with you for the purpose of doing what I have done. I know from your condition of mind that you do not believe in these doctrines of the theosophists, and that your beliefs are of a different kind, and are new to me, although I have heard of the doctrines that are the objects of your faith. There are spirits with whom I sometimes come in contact, who attempt to tell me of another way to a higher heaven than the one that I know of, but as they are mere babes in comparison to my ancient existence, I do not listen to them, and hence I am not acquainted with their teachings.


I must not write more tonight and thank you for your kindness. Well, you seem to be very kind, and I thank you for your interest, and under the circumstances must accept your offer, and will, I assure you, listen attentively to what may be said to me.
 
I have looked and there comes to me a beautiful spirit who says she is your grandmother, and that she has heard your invitation, and will be glad to show me the way to love and light and truth. She seems so bright and beautiful and loving that I must go with her So I will say goodnight and go. 



Good night.


Lamlestia



 

No comments:

Post a Comment